There are less standalone tablets out there in the market than you think.
This happens because standalone tablets have more features compared with pure drawing tablets. These tablets are fully operating computers. They have unique features that explain the hefty price tag.
Most people think that drawing tablets are considered as standalone tablets. However, that assumption is entirely wrong. There is plenty of tablets out there that are portable. They have touch screen abilities, but they are not standalone. This means that these tablets need a laptop or a computer to run.
Sometimes we think that if the tablet has its screen, it will still need a computer. Most tablets are that way, and this is just the way it is.
You don’t need a monitor to run your drawing tablet, but you still need a computer. This is because all the drawing apps like Adobe Photoshop or Painter are installed in them.
There must be caution exercised before buying the tablet. It is common for people to get touch-screen drawing tablets. They are hoping that they will not need computer support to run.
If your objective is to have a portable device tablet, then read the guide below. Our guide has a list of standalone mobile device tablets.
Best Standalone Drawing Tablets
This list is based on customer reviews. I am going to start with the least ratings to the one with the highest ratings.
Top 5 Editor’s Pick
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
This tablet gives the user the same purposes as iPad Pro. It is safe to say that it is almost the same. There might be a few differences, but at the end of the day, it depends on which brand you prefer.
I won the Galaxy Tab S3, and although I’m pretty satisfied with my device. However, sometimes, my portable tablet heats up on certain occasions.
It is important to note that the tablet only heats up after using the tablet plugged in for several hours. It is also worth mentioning that using the tablet plugged to a power source is a bad idea. The same goes for cell phones, as there have been events of the phone exploding.
Regardless of this minor setback, if you want to have a device to draw from your lap, this is the one you should buy.
- It is thin and light. It is smaller than most tablets and more comfortable to carry around compared to other tablets.
- It has great radios. It has communications like LTE, GLONASS and NFC etc. It will keep you preoccupied when you are bored.
- It has killer software. It runs on Android 4.0 with TouchWiz. It makes the tablet as natural to use as possible.
- It has solid cameras. There are lots of exciting things that you can use with a camera. It has 8MP on the rear camera and 2MP front camera with full HD video recording. You have a winner with no shutter lags.
- There is massive storage. The S3 has three storage capacities, 16GB,32Gb and 64GB. External storage goes up to 128GB.
- It doesn’t have a beautiful display design. The Galaxy S and SII and Super AMOLED display are excellent. The show is not sharp enough.
- The S and SII have two different display sizes. Samsung managed to keep the two devices in a smaller, although it has its trademark.
- It doesn’t have a secure processor. However, the battery life doesn’t last.
- The materials make the device feel like plastic toys. Samsung should have fixed this long time ago.
Bottom Line: Samsung still can sell tens of millions of this device, which will hit the records for at least a year.
Wacom DThW1320H Mobile Studio Pro
As one can tell just by hearing the name, this tablet is a portable mobile studio. It is perfect for animation and art in both 2D and 3D.
The thing about this device is that it goes further than the other devices in this category.
This is not just a computer, but it is also a great one. It is something you can use to create graphics or internet navigation. You can also use it with different software to create more complex tasks. These tasks range from video editing with apps like Adobe software.
There is nothing that can beat workflow speed when you are using Wacom. This device is super quick, and you will not have lagging problems. This is common, and you will face this problem with other tablets in the market.
The mobile studio comes with the Windows software, and it is used in three different methods:
- By hand drawing
- Using the pen as a drawing tablet
- I am using a mouse and keyboard on a computer.
It has a great graphics card and is also used as a computer monitor. Another unique feature of this tablet is that it is very light, making it easy to bring around.
This is a dream tablet for anyone that wants to be a professional artist, but it is very pricey.
- It has a great display.
- It has a great stylus as well.
- It has express keys that can be customized due to preference.
- It has a RealSense camera that is great for 3D drawings.
- It has a slow SSD
- The battery life is not enough to sustain long periods of work.
#Second Runner Up
Microsoft Surface Pro
This is another tablet that performs the duties of the standard computer. It is more costly, but this tablet still gets excellent reviews all over the internet.
It has a large screen size, and it has a powerful processor. It also comes with a stylus like other drawing tablets in the market.
If you are not worried about the price and you want to buy an extended lasting drawing tablet, this is a great option to get.
This tablet comes with a stylus along with a wireless mouse and keyboard. This will let you use the device like any regular laptop. One thing though, the accessories are not including in the buying package.
The best thing about the drawing tablets need a stand. Microsoft Surface Pro already has a position.
- It is ultra light.
- It is the 7th gen Intel core processor.
- It has more battery life.
- The fan cooling system doesn’t make any noise.
- It has a higher cost
- It has complaints of bugs in the older models.
- The keyboard cannot be used for an extended period.
#1st Runner Up
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 10.5 Review
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 has more advanced specs compared to Galaxy Tab A 10.5. Both tablets were announced in August. They are going to be released in the global market altogether. The similarities are they have the same screen size and battery life as well as external storage. However, there are other differences between the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and Galaxy Tab A 10.5. One modelhas WiFi, and the other one has WiFi and cellular. The two models will be priced differently.
Tab S4 has a larger screen ratio. It is compatible with NanoSim Card that supports cellular network. It also has stylus features. The screen is a Super AMOLED screen with vibrant colours. It has higher display resolution and vivid to look at.
The tablet runs on Android 8.1 Oreo with many features. An Octa-core processor powers the processor with a high GPU. It also has high RAM capacity with an internal memory of 64GB and 256GB. However, there is an expandable external memory of up to 512 GB storage. It has two slots that can be used, one for the SIM card and one for external storage.
- Lovely display.
- High potential Samsung Dex
- It has a higher battery.
- SIM card and SD card support.
- Dex needs extra support.
# Editor’s Pick
Many tablets fall into the iPad Pro category. The differences between them are the screen size and the size of the hard drive.
However, all of the iPad Pro series are used as drawing tablets.
The tablets are the cheapest and most reliable method of drawing on a tablet without a computer.
The most significant plus size of the device is its portability. Carrying the tablet anywhere is an advantage over other tablets.
Minor details don’t matter. Most of the iPad models are more than enough to draw on a drawing tablet.
- Great display
- It is an excellent mobile chipset.
- It has a robust mobile chipset.
- Awesome design
- Great battery
- Outstanding speakers
- Great selfie experience
- Powerful rear camera
- USB Type C Port
- There is no audio port.
- Older version accessories are obsolete.
- Apple IOS doesn’t cater to power usage.
- No portrait mode when using the rear camera
- It is expensive
- Accessories are costly
Except for iPad Pro, these are one of the best standalone tablets out there. It is more than just a purchase. It is a long term investment. If you plan to be an expert in drawing, this iPad is worth it.Owning this tablet is the next level of user experience. It is easy to use and carry around. Once the price is affordable, grab one of these tablets.This is a high-end tablet, and you will not regret buying it.